- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Opening Plenary: Building a Greener Economy through Innovation
It has been said that innovation will be one of the most important drivers of a greener economy. Innovation in the 21st century requires a new blueprint - one that topples the top-down approach and engenders collaboration among companies, governments, and communities. The GLOBE 2012 Opening Plenary will focus on innovation and its role in driving sustainability. Join an elite roster of business and government leaders at the Opening Plenary which will set the stage for GLOBE 2012.
Christy Clark, Premier, Province of British Columbia, Canada (Welcoming Remarks)
Christine Gregoire, Governor, State of Washington, USA (Welcoming Remarks)
Jim Weigand, President, DuPont Sustainable Solutions, USA
Steve Williams, President & Chief Operating Officer, Suncor Energy Inc., Canada
John Kitzhaber, Governor, State of Oregon, USA