- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Sustained Growth and Sustainability: Re-engineering the Economic Model
The current economic model appears increasingly unsuited to deliver sustained growth and development. As such, long-term sustainability objectives have moved up the policy agenda in recent years. How are new ecological economic models filtering into traditional ways of doing business? How can investors who desire short-term rewards be encouraged to support projects with longer-term horizons? How can business and finance leaders, policy-makers, and regulators work together towards a new economic model?
Yannick Glemarec, Executive Coordinator, Global Environment Facility & Director of Environmental Finance, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), USA
Michael Jantzi, CEO, Sustainalytics, Canada
Matthew Kiernan, Founder and Chief Executive, Inflection Point Capital Management, Canada
Pierre Ouillet, Vice President of Finance, Resources & Operations, University of BC, Canada