- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Vice President of Transit & Rail Systems, SNC-Lavalin Group Inc., Canada
Ron Aitken is a dedicated professional who has over 30 successful years in delivering transit projects throughout the world. Mr. Aitken has had a balanced career with periods spent in Engineering, Vehicle Manufacturing, Project Management, Project Development, Sales, Public Owner and Transit System Operations and Maintenance. Mr. Aitken has had varying roles in his career including being the Project Director on some of the largest automated driverless transit system projects in the world including projects in Taiwan, Malaysia, the USA, and Canada. Mr. Aitken has also had executive oversight for monorail, light rail, and people-mover projects that have employed different procurement models including the Public Private Partnerships.
Mr. Aitken has a strong background in all elements of transit system delivery with many different technologies. He strives for success and has the ability to lead teams to their highest standards. He has extensive transit experience, focuses on safety, quality and schedule and has a demonstrated ability to delivery projects in accordance with contracted requirements.