- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Director, Guidance and Support, The Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, Canada
Gordon Beal, CA, M.Ed, is the Director of the Guidance and Support Group of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) and is a member of the CICA's Executive Management Committee. The Guidance and Support Group develops technical support for more than 80,000 CA members in areas such as accounting and financial reporting standards for public and private corporations, the public sector, and non-profit organizations; international audit and assurance standards; enhanced reporting and disclosure issues; corporate sustainability, including issues related to climate change; governance in the corporate and non-profit sectors; and risk oversight and risk management.
Gord joined the CICA in 2004 and has worked in Knowledge Development and Education Services with a primary focus on governance, risk, and financial reporting. During the 15 years prior to that, he held senior financial and operations management roles, leading large scale organizational change for publicly listed and privately held corporations. Just prior to joining the CICA, he was an Internal Consultant with the Ontario Ministry of Finance during which time he was integral to the development and delivery of a 2-day Performance Management course and a 2-day course on Governance and Accountability in the public sector.
Gord has been a Board member, Audit and Finance Committee Chair, and member of the Governance Committee for a non-profit social services organization and has volunteered with other local and national non-profit organizations, providing guidance and advisory support in the areas of board governance and risk management.
Gord is a Chartered Accountant, with a Bachelors degree in Commerce and Economics from the University of Toronto, a Bachelor of Education, and a Master of Education in organizational development from Brock University.