- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Chief Executive, AMEC, UK
Appointed Chief Executive of AMEC plc in October 2006, Samir has led the transformation of AMEC into the leading supplier of high-value consultancy, engineering and project management services to its customers in the world's oil and gas, minerals and metals, clean energy, environment and infrastructure markets. Prior to his role at AMEC, Brikho was a member of the Group Executive Committee of ABB Ltd., Switzerland, Head of the Power Systems Division and Chairman of ABB Lummus Global.
Mr Brikho joined ABB in 1983, and for 10 years led sales in a range of world markets, rising to Senior Vice President and MD of ABB Kraftwerke in 1995. In 1999, he became CEO of ABB Alstom Kraftwerke, moving to head the international operations of Alstom Power in 2000.
In addition to being chair of Offshore Europe 2011, he is a director of the United Kingdom-Japan 21st Century Group. He currently sits on the Advisory Board of Stena AB. Mr Brikho is co-chair of the UK-UAE CEO Forum. He also chaired the World Economic Forum's Engineering and Construction Board in 2009 and held the position of chair of UK Energy Excellence, from May 2008 to May 2010, a strategy board tasked by the UK Government with demonstrating the UK's world-leading position in energy. In February 2010 Samir was appointed a UK Business Ambassador by Gordon Brown, and continues to serve in this capacity under David Cameron's government.
Samir Brikho holds an engineering degree, Master of Science in Thermal Technology from the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden, and completed the YMP Program at Insead in France in 1991. He completed a Senior Executive Programme, Stanford, USA in 2000. He speaks Swedish, Arabic, English, German and French fluently.
Mr Brikho is a Swedish citizen, born in Lebanon. He has two children and his interests include sports and music.
AMEC (LSE: AMEC) is a focused supplier of consultancy, engineering and project management services to its customers in the world's oil and gas, minerals and metals, clean energy, environment and infrastructure markets. With annual revenues of around £3 billion, AMEC designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets and employs some 27,000 people in around 40 countries worldwide.