- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Managing Director, InterfaceRAISE, USA
Jim Hartzfeld serves as Managing Director of InterfaceRAISE, a corporate consulting resource for Interface, Inc., created to educate others seeking to implement the necessary steps for becoming sustainable.
Since he heard Interface founder and Chairman, Ray Anderson, deliver a key speech in 1994 that set Interface on a sustainability journey, Jim or "EcoJim" as he has come to be known, has embraced sustainability as a way of life. Finding his place at this intersection of head and heart, Jim has championed sustainable enterprise as the right and smart thing to do, first at Interface and then with groups like the U.S. Green Building Council, an organization he chaired for two years.
For over a decade, serving as Senior Vice President of Interface Research Corporation and Vice President of Sustainable Strategy for InterfaceFLOR, Jim has been pursuing the objective of equipping others through education and knowledge to make sustainability understandable and accessible in the marketplace. Now leading the newly formed venture, InterfaceRAISE, Jim is formalizing the knowledge he has gleaned to bring the tools for technical and cultural transformation to other companies who are similarly motivated.
Jim has worked with such organizations as the U.S. Green Building Council, the World Business Council for Sustainable Development, and the President's Council on Sustainable Development (PCSD), where he served as Ray Anderson's liaison.
Jim's enthusiasm and conviction make him a sought-after speaker throughout the world. His informative and motivational speeches cover such topics as making the business case for sustainability, corporate culture change, environmental impact of buildings, LEED certification, the U.S. Green Building Council, selling sustainability to your clients, and more. He has been quoted in numerous publications, including The Wall Street Journal and Fortune Magazine, and co-authored Interface's globally recognized Sustainability Report with Paul Hawken and others.