- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Director of Environmental Sustainability, Microsoft Corporation, USA
Josh Henretig is the Director of Environmental Sustainability for Microsoft and is responsible for helping define, implement and communicate the global environmental strategy for the company. Josh has found success translating corporate insights and experiences with sustainability into scalable business practices that result in reducing the company's environmental footprint and showcasing the role technology plays in enabling people and organizations around the world reduce their impact on the environment.
As one of the founding members of Microsoft's environmental sustainability initiative, Josh has been instrumental in driving the following programs:
- Developing the global communications strategy for Microsoft's environmental efforts & accomplishments resulting in: 2010 & 2011 Top Ten Green Brands (Cohn & Wolfe), 2011 Top Green IT Organizations (Computerworld), #31/500 Newsweek Green Company Rankings, highest rated company in tech industry on 2010 & 2011 Climate Counts Scorecard
- Establishing Microsoft as a credible thought leader in environmental sustainability by leading ground breaking studies such as the Environmental Impact of Cloud Computing and the role of IT in enabling Energy-Smart Buildings which has resulted in 300+% YoY growth in social media followership, favorable news placement & coverage and high-profile speaking opportunities
- Developing strategies that integrate sustainability practices/policies into operational business functions such as green communication guidelines, mandatory sustainability training, establishing and reducing corporate CO2 footprint across ~20 different countries, reducing corporate travel, etc
- Developing global performance scorecard and maturity models for evaluating different Microsoft subsidiaries on the merits and progress of their environmental impact
- Developing business cases and analysis for sustainability projects/initiatives resulting in the successful engagement of executive steering committee as well as members of employee green teams
- Developing, growing & managing a global community of internal Environmental Managers across ~20 different countries resulting in; MSFT NL reaching 2012 CO2 reduction target (30%) 16 mos early, MSFT UK reducing CO2 by 15% from FY09-FY10, tech-enabled "work anywhere" campaigns resulting in thousands of customers committing to reduce travel
- Increased internal awareness of Microsoft's sustainability commitments, policies and engagement opportunities through employee engagement strategies and programs
Josh has been with Microsoft for close to 10 years and has held positions in Sales, Business Strategy and Management, and now Environmental Sustainability. Prior to Microsoft, Josh worked at Onyx Software where he held a variety of sales, marketing and management positions.