- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Minister of the Environment, Government of Canada
Peter Kent was first elected to the House of Commons in 2008.
Prior to his election to the House of Commons, Mr. Kent was a broadcast journalist having spent more than 40 years working as a writer, reporter, producer, anchor and senior executive in Canada, the United States and around the world. Internationally, he covered stories that shaped the 20th century, including momentous events such as the Yom Kippur War, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War.
Mr. Kent has a long record of community service. He was a member
of the board of ParticipACTION, the Ontario Cabinet of the Canadian
Museum for Human Rights, Honest Reporting Canada, and The
Accessible Channel. Mr. Kent has also served as a mentor with the
Toronto Region Immigrant Employment Council and remains an active
supporter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the Toronto
Conservatory of Music, the Canadian Opera Company, Friends of Simon
Wiesenthal Center, the Canadian National Institute for the Blind,
and Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
Mr. Kent was named Minister of the Environment in January 2011.
Mr. Kent is married to Cilla and they have a daughter.