- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Founder and Chief Executive, Inflection Point Capital Management, Canada
Dr. Kiernan is founder and Chief Executive of Inflection Point Capital Management. In 1992, he had founded Innovest Strategic Value Advisors ("Innovest"), the #1-rated firm in the world in sustainable investment research, where he also served as Chief Executive.
While leading Innovest, Dr Kiernan was instrumental in both the design and implementation of a number of innovative, "sustainability-enhanced" investment products - across a number of different asset classes and geographies. Those products included a number of world "firsts", including: emerging markets sustainability fund, climate risk-adjusted bond index, "green" listed REIT index. Clients of Innovest included leading international institutional investors, including CalPERS, CalSTRS, APG, USS, PGGM, and the Norwegian Government Pension Fund.
He holds a Master's in Environmental Studies, and earned a PhD in Strategic Environmental Management from the London School of Economicsin 1982. After co-founding a strategy consulting firm which he later sold to KPMG Peat Marwick, Dr Kiernan became a senior partner there. From 1990 to 1992, he was director of the Business Council for Sustainable Developmentin Geneva,and acted as a senior advisor to Secretary General of theUN Earth Summitin Rio de Janeiro. He has taught sustainable finance in executive programs at the Wharton School, Columbia, Stanford, London Business School, and Oxford, and is currently a guest faculty member at Cambridge University, in HRH The Prince of Wales' executive program in sustainability. In 2007, he was given a special executive award by the United Nations Environment Program's Finance Initiative, for innovations and contributions in the field of carbon finance. He is also a member of the editorial board of theJournal of Environmental Investing, and of the advisory board of the Responsible Investment Academy in Sydney.
His new book,Investing in a Sustainable World, is distributed internationally by McGraw-Hill.