- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Editor - Business, Politics & Energy, TreeHugger.com, USA
Mat McDermott edits the Business and Energy sections of Discovery Communication's TreeHugger.com, as well as writing about resource consumption, animal welfare issues and the response of religious communities to environmental problems. Driving his work are two main convictions: 1) Our current environmental problems-climate change, biodiversity losses, peak fossil fuels, natural resource over consumption-are but symptoms of the greater problem of fetishizing material economic growth; and 2) only by first changing our minds, recognizing the literal and metaphorical interconnected nature of all life, will we make the lasting external changes required to create an ecologically sustainable civilization. In addition to his work with TreeHugger, Mat is an advisor for The Bhumi Project, "a worldwide Hindu response to environmental issues facing our planet...facilitated by the Oxford Centre for Hindu Studies."