- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Chief Project Officer, Smart Metering & Infrastructure, BC Hydro, Canada
Gary is the Chief Project Officer (CPO) for the Smart Metering Program.
As the CPO, Gary oversees the installation and implementation of the smart metering system across the province - a key initiative in modernizing our grid. Gary's responsibilities include: strategic and fiscal planning; business transformation; internal controls and risks; and achievement of key milestones.
Gary also ensures that he and the Smart Metering Program leadership team are collaboratively engaged with lines of business across the company, and with external stakeholders as well as media. Alongside the BC Hydro Executive Team, Gary plays a key role in maintaining Shareholder relations, and ensuring that major issues impacting the program and BC Hydro's corporate reputation are given proper consideration.
Gary brings a wealth of experience from other grid modernization projects, having worked in the energy and utility industry for over 20 years. He has served in leadership positions in generation, transmission and distribution, and unregulated services. He has also been involved with smart grid and smart meter design and installation at companies including Enbridge and PowerStream in Ontario, Duke Energy, PECO Energy in Pennsylvania and Oklahoma Gas and Electric.