- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Los Angeles City Director, Clinton Climate Initiative / C40 Cities Leadership Group, USA
Sarah Potts is the Los Angeles City Director for the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40), in partnership with the Clinton Climate Initiative (CCI). C40 is a network of large and engaged cities from around the world committed to implementing meaningful and sustainable climate-related actions locally that will help address climate change globally.
Operating at the nexus of business, politics, and environmentalism in Los Angeles, Ms. Potts' work focuses on low-carbon transportation, outdoor lighting efficiency, building energy efficiency, and climate adaptation. Most notably, Ms. Potts supported the Los Angeles Bureau of Street Lighting and Mayor Villaraigosa's Office to develop and launch a major streetlight retrofit project. Once complete, the project will reduce CO2 emissions by over 40,500 tons and save the city $10 million annually in street light maintenance and energy costs - a 40% savings.
In addition, Ms. Potts recently worked with the City of Los Angeles to design and launch the Los Angeles Commercial Building Performance Partnership -- an ARRA funded initiative offering commercial building owners energy audits and innovative financing options, including PACE. Ms. Potts has also worked in the New York office of the Clinton Foundation where she coordinated CCI's External Communications, Marketing and Press. Ms. Potts holds both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in International Development from Brown University.