- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Executive Director, California Product Stewardship Council, USA
Heidi has been active in the solid waste industry in California for 20 years, working in various public and private positions including with consulting firms to cities and counties on reducing waste and increasing recycling, as an independent consultant, and serving in state government as the technical advisor to the Chair of the California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB), now CalRecycle.
As a consultant, Ms. Sanborn was the primary author of the contractor's report to the CIWMB titled "Framework for Evaluating End-of-Life Product Management Systems in California" (7/07). This report analyzed different policy systems around the world and recommended that California utilize EPR policy for problem products to ensure fully funded and sustainable recycling systems for products banned from disposal like mercury lighting and batteries.
Ms. Sanborn is widely recognized as the expert in EPR policy in California and internationally. She has been called to serve as an expert witness making presentations on packaging EPR to the California Ocean Protection Council, National EPA Pollution Prevention conference in Washington, D.C., and at the international EPR Packaging conference in Brussels, Belgium in October 2010. She has authored numerous articles and reports on product stewardship.
Ms. Sanborn is a graduate of the University of California at Davis with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science - Public Service and a Master's of Public Administration from the University of Southern California.