- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Vice President of Natural Gas Policy Development, Encana Corporation, Canada
Sam is responsible for providing leadership and counsel to Encana's Natural Gas Economy team on Canadian environmental policy and legislation and its impact on our gas demand initiatives. He has a wide range of experience in leadership, government relations, negotiations, business development, project management, international relations and human resources. He joined Encana from the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) where he served as President & CEO since 1997. Sam holds a Bachelor of Arts from Chaminade University of Honolulu, a Master of Science from Dalhousie University and a Master of Education and a PhD from the University of Toronto. He is also a graduate of the Harvard University Institute for Educational Management and earned a Chartered Director designation from McMaster University and The Conference Board of Canada. Additionally, he is a past recipient of Alberta Venture's Businessman of the Year award and has twice been recognized as one of Alberta's 50 Most Influential People. He received the Distinguished Leadership Award from the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education District VIII; is a member of Industry Canada's Science, Technology and Innovation Council; is the Vice-Chair for the Standards Council of Canada and served as its Chair of the Canadian Advisory Committee TC232; is Chair of the Alberta Career Education Network; served as a Board Member and Chair of the Human Resources Committee of the Canadian Commercialization Corporation; is a member of Alberta Economic Development Authority; and is an Advisory Board Member, Industrial Research Assistance Program.
In January 2010 he was appointed Honourary Colonel of 408 Tactical Helicopter Squadron in Edmonton. Sam and his wife have three children and reside in Calgary.
Natural Gas: Fueling the Future