- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs.
- The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute has completed a report for that examines the impact climate change is likely to have on Alberta's ecosystems. Alberta's boreal forest may transition to aspen forest and grasslands as a result of changing climate conditions.
- The Climate Bonds Initiative has issued proposed eligibility criteria for solar assets under the Climate Bond Standard and Certification Scheme.
- Climate change combined with rapid population increases, economic growth and land subsidence could lead to a more than 9-fold increase in the global risk of floods in large port cities between now and 2050
- The sun is finally rising on the global solar business, with growing demand in developing regions helping to ignite the first increase in industry wide capital spending in three years in 2014
Sustainability Author & Speaker, Sustainability Advantage, Canada
Bob is a leading expert on quantifying and selling the business value of corporate sustainability strategies and has given hundreds of keynote presentations to corporate, government, university, and NGO audiences. Bob applies his business and leadership experience from his 34-year career at IBM Canada to engage the business community in proactively avoiding risks and capturing opportunities associated with environmental and social issues.
He has authored four books: The Sustainability Advantage (2002), The Next Sustainability Wave (2005),The Sustainability Champion's Guidebook (2009), and The New Sustainability Advantage(2012). In addition, his DVDs, spreadsheets, numerous webinars, and extensive slide set provide capacity-building resources for champions of sustainability. They provide quantified business justification for embracing sustainability strategies and proven guidance on how to transform organizations to sustainable enterprises.
Bob's most recent book is "The New Sustainability Advantage" which will launch at GLOBE 2012. This practical guide and accompanying free web-enabled Sustainability Advantage Simulator Dashboard enables executives to enter their own data and quickly identify high-leverage benefit areas for their organization. More detailed free and open source downloadable Sustainability Advantage Simulator Worksheets help to drill down into specific areas of interest and fine-tune the assumptions to their specific situation.
Bob serves on the advisory boards of The Natural Step (TNS) Canadaa>, Learning for a Sustainable Future (LSF), and Durham Sustain Ability (DSA). He is on ad hoc advisory committees for sustainable business certificate programs at Seneca College, Algonquin College, and Ryerson University, and is a member of the Durham Region Roundtable on Climate Change (DRRCC) and the International Society of Sustainability Professionals (ISSP). Bob is proud to be one of the five inaugural members of the ISSP Hall of Fame in 2011, along with Ray Anderson, Gil Friend, Amory Lovins, and Karl Henrik Robert. As of 2011, he is a certified B Corporation.
He has a BSc from McGill University (1964) and an MEd (2000) and PhD (2005) from the University of Toronto. Residents of Ontario, Bob and his wife are the proud parents of three adult children, the proud grandparents of three grandsons, and the proud owners of two hybrid cars: a Toyota Camry Hybrid and a Honda Civic Hybrid.
More information about Bob and his resources for sustainability champions can be found at www.sustainabilityadvantage.com.
Bob will be signing copies of his new book on Wednesday, March 14 on the conference level at GLOBE 2012.